Thursday, January 16, 2014

 
 

Question asked...

Low-Carb Dairy Free Vegetarian?  What do I eat???


So, I have been practicing a low-carb, ovo-vegetarian diet...  This means, I don't eat any dairy, but consume eggs.  I made this change a few months ago, when I noticed that, while consuming a seemingly tofu free almost vegan diet (upwards of 130 to 200 carbs a day), I was having major fatigue issues.  There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don't even know where to begin, or how I let myself come to that place of such imbalance.  Anyway with in, two hours of my usual breakfast of oatmeal and coffee, I wanted to curl up and go to bed, and every afternoon on my way too the gym, I wanted to fall asleep and was foraging for caffeine and a granola bar pick me up. The Crash and Burn was an everyday occurrence for me. I was downing coffee, in hopes of a boost, but it was doing little to nothing for me.  So, I decaffeinated for two weeks, and was still experiencing major fatigue, naturally.  I pushed back the coffee, to my one cup a day, always at breakfast...  and found that I was still tired.  I knew I had to change something.  Aside from that 15 pounds I just could not seem to get off.  I felt horrible ALL the time.  So, I came across Atkins, the new Eco-Atkins, customizable for vegans and vegetarians.  I can't/don't want to eat dairy, and I morally can't get behind the high dairy consumption.  But, I made the egg compromise, to no more than one a day (organic, steroid and hormone free, cage free eggs for me only).  That seems fair, and healthy to me.  I feel so much better.  I have sustained energy, and feel so light and good.  Like I've got my spark back.  I've been eating LOTS of non-starchy vegetables, and a nice balance of tofu (1 net carb per serving), seitan (which I make weekly at home, super easy, 4 net carbs per serving), and eggs(<1 net carb per serving).  Along with the right amount of fat to make up for the reduction in carbs, this helps the body produce sustainable energy and fight off hunger and cravings.  Such as avocados, olives, artichokes, olive oil, and coconut oil.  I am getting complete proteins this way, good fats and plenty of nutrients.  Remember you do not have to complete the protein at the meal, just some time within that day.  Along side the reduction, of carbs, I've cut out sugar...  and this has helped with my chronic bladder infections (perk).  I occasionally have a sugar free low carb protein shake, and tofu is sooo versatile.  I make tofu scrambles when I am not up for an egg.  Vegetarian protein has really come a long way.  I consume about 30 net carbs a day now, so I know that 50 net carbs a day is completely do-able.  At 50 net carbs a day you can have some grains, nuts, fruits...  really your options are pretty versatile.
I highly recommend looking into it...  It may take a few weeks for your body to adjust to the new dietary change, but once you're past that...  you should feel great.  This has been the easiest diet I have ever been on, and I HATE diets.  Plus, I've taken of 5 lbs, just this month, and I'm eating all the time!
I mean, my path isn't perfect for everyone, but do what's best for you.  Anything is possible.

P.S. I am not a certified dietician, nor do I have a degree in nutritional studies.  I am just speaking from my heart and personal experience.




Eco-Atkins Web MD

 

The New Atkins for a New You

 

Vegangela - The Low-Carb Vegan Recipe Source - AN AMAZING BLOG

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment